Artist: Ignacio Berroa
Drums: Latin Jazz
Ignacio Berroa has been recognized as one of the greatest drummers of our times. He was included in the 2011 Mp3 compilation entitled “Jazz Drumming Legends” which features some of the most renowned drummers in Jazz history.
In 1980 he left his country and settled in New York City where he met Jazz Icon Dizzy Gillespie who invited him to join his quartet in 1981
Ignacio Berroa also took part of all the important bands Gillespie assembled during that decade such as: The Dizzy Gillespie 70th Anniversary Big Band, The Dizzy Gillespie All Stars Big Band and the Grammy Award winner, United Nation Orchestra. This relation lasted until Dizzy’s death.
Dizzy Gillespie best defined Ignacio as: “… the only Latin drummer in the world in the history of American music that intimately knows both worlds: his native Afro Cuban music as well as Jazz…”
As an author and a renowned educator Ignacio made his mark in 1995 with the instructional video Mastering the Art of Afro–Cuban Drumming and later on with the books: Groovin’ in Clave and A New Way of Groovin’.
Ignacio has also created the masterful video teaching presentation Afro-Cuban Jazz and beyond, which overviews the development of Afro – Cuban music, its influence on Jazz and vice versa.
On his presentation Ignacio demonstrates his unique way of combining Afro-Cuban rhythms with Jazz language.
In 2007 Blue Note Records released his first album as a leader, Codes. The album was nominated for a Grammy and won a Danish Music Award as best International Jazz Album same year.
His second album “Heritage & Passion” was released in 2014 by 5Passion label.
Ignacio has recorded and played with musicians of the stature of: McCoy Tyner, Chick Corea, Wynton Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard, Clark Terry, Jackie McLean, Jimmy Heath, James Moody, Jon Faddis, Slide Hampton, Michael Brecker, Milt Jackson, Jaco Pastorius, Ron Carter, Charlie Haden, Tito Puente, Mario Bauzá, Lalo Schifrin, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Danilo Perez, David Sanchez, Michel Camilo, Chico Bouarque, Gilberto Gil, Ivan Lins, Joao Bosco, Lenny Andrade, Lincoln Center Orchestra, WDR Big Band and BBC Big Band to name a few.
Ignacio Berroa Selected Discography:
- Ignacio Berroa: Heritage and Passion
- Ignacio Berroa: Codes (Grammy Nominee)
- “Jazz Drumming Legends”: MP3 Compilation
- BBC Legends, Dizzy Gillespie 70th Anniversary Big Band: Life at The Royal Festival Hall
- Dizzy Gillespie: United Nation Orchestra: Life at The Royal Festival Hall (Grammy Award Winner)
- McCoy Tyner: La Leyenda de La Hora
- Tito Puente: Latin Jazz All Stars in Session.
- Charlie Haden: Nocturne, (Grammy Award Winner)
- Charlie Haden: Land of the Sun. (Grammy Award Winner)
- Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Inner Voyage. (Grammy Nominee)
- Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Supernova. (Grammy Award Winner)
- Gonzalo Rubalcaba: Paseo (Grammy Nominee)
- Danilo Perez: The Journey